Thursday 15 November 2007

Another Thursday? Already?

this seems to be fine time of week to grab a tea and a few moments of quiet introspection at akey board to commune with my dear readers. you.

it's been a good, rather busy week. aurelie gig at the City gallery, leicester last Friday. aurelie are a free flowing audio visual music art collective. we can be heard here.

http://www.myspace.com/aureliegroup

may put some pics up here, although most of mine are of intricately structured formations of hard boiled eggs and other culinary confections. Which reminds me I was meant to send some of them to the caterers. photos - not eggs. they would be rather stale by now. ha.

played another gig last night with the unaptly named Maximum Danger Project. I play cello and a bit of bass/ percussion with them. good off-kilter folksy instrumented pop songs. Bringing together such ramshackle sonic bedfellows as tambourine, flute, drums, violin, djembe, bass, clarinet and cello. and kazoos we put quite a storming show.

the intervening time twixt these gigs was mostly uneventful. in a good way. A mate from oxford came to stay the weekend. We visited a local museum which celebrated politically correct multi-cultural blandness beside 16th Century local type Daniel Lambert, a man notable, in actual fact for little else but being extraordinarily fat. those were the days- a fat bloke (mighty man!) was hailed as a prodigy of nature and taken to meet royalty. Today we would put him under the knife and make him star of a vilifying documentary.

I started getting quite excited by the possibilities of that inscrutable piece of sophtware titled Flash. But only by its potentialto produce content that annoys, disorientates and confuses. I contend that this function is as valid as any other. But whether our lecturer will see this approach as markworthy remains to be seen.

At uni today was a course telling us how to use powerful lasers without destroying our eyes. Which was useful. And fairly bearable as well. There was even a humorously dated eighties video with a woman extolling the joys of lasing. With a 'z' I can do it admirably. With an 's'...I'm not so experienced, but I'm sure I can learn.

There awaits this week a bit of the not so glamorous side to making music- shifting gear around, a part of the process I would happily abdicate to burly, tattooed roadies (and that's just the womenfolk!). But a lot of the good stuff too. Some more accortumn, a weekend of actionforcing and a london gig with aurelie. So wish me luck. Even better wish me a warming roast dinner. Which is what hopefully awaits me at home.

And my bloody valentine are gigging again... but that deserves a blog of its own.

No comments: