Thursday 8 November 2007

an alright Thursday

it was too. even though I overslept and missed a foray into Flash at the ioct (Institute of Creative Technologies-where I study). Something I keep putting off. the notion of producing my own interactive content for my course lurks around like an unloved digital uncle. I just hope that if I ignore him he might just go away, though I am informed on good authority that this doesn't work in practice.*

got caught in some hefty massive rain. Got the news that my big winter coat would cost £45 to fix (the lining, oh the lining), and bit of school kid mockery thrown in. Played some Atari at uni. It's a cool course. We get to do stuff like that. identified the problem with my beloved Sega Megadrive- the main controller input has gone wrong, meaning hardly any of the buttons on the Joypad work. resulting in less Joy delivered to the player. Still it makes most of the games more challenging. Mooched around town a bit. Managed to conserve some money by not buying any cds. The cds I didn't buy included the new Sigur Ros album, the first Rage Against the Machine album and the Best of Run DMC. I wonder whether the satisfaction of my newfound self control outweighs the pleasure of listening to such great cds.

Stew.

Recorded some session cello for a band called Her Name Is Calla. Quite a good track- with the layered strings it was reminiscent of Silver Mt. Zion Tra LA LA whatever they're called now.

Yesterday was alright too. Perhaps even more so than today. But in a different way. highlights were making some new Lenticular prints and seeing a band called Asobi Seksu. They were pretty storming live. A nice mix of dreamy vocals from the Japanese front woman, and some enormous MBV meets Sonic Youth guitar coaxings backed with pounding drums and hooky basslines.

On the way home I found myself, inadvertently, at a comedy night, in the venue I was certain should have been hosting an open mic jam. never has holding a bass guitar made me feel so out of place. "Are you here for the comedy?" I was patronised. And withdrew my patronage.







*this is in no way a slight on any of my existing literal, non conceptual uncles. they are great. and they are both geologists.

1 comment:

Paul Scattergood said...

Yo,

More good blogging dave, i wish i had your way with words.

Yeah interactive media analogy [sp?] was most amusing... we will get there in the end i'm sure.

I started codeing on my blog today! i know its crazy, just making hyperlinks embedded in the text. But two weeks ago that would have scared me alot. (i just stole the code from an online info site)

i wanted to watch Asobi Seksu, where did they play. If only i wasnt at home we could have both gone.

Hope the city galloery is fun. take sume video for your blog if you can?!

My friend lives with her name is calla, they are rather good. What a small world.

P

http://www.paulscattergood.blogspot.com/