Wednesday 8 April 2009

Creating a Stench.

Last week I attended an event by the name of Stench, an evening of electronic music and visual art in Leicester's soon to be moved art house cinema: The Phoenix. I was performing with the below mentioned Quadelctronic folk, who took over the upstairs cafe for two half hour sets. this necessitated a slightly shorter playing time for the improvisations, which to my mind helped rather than hindered the enterprise.

A condensed video document of the night can be viewed here:



The whole thing went pretty well, and there was encouraging talk of a more regular incarnation (this was the third Stench in three years). I must confess I was equally amused and irked by what I thought was an audience member's phone ringing just as John Richards' laptop orchestra were finishing their set. It took a couple of minutes to realise that it was A-ha playing from the i-pod in my pocket. Now 'Take On Me' is a fine piece of pop in any context. But when blaring uninvited from miniscule (but surprisingly loud) headphones, somewhat rude. So, if I ruined anyone's listening experience I apologise. I shall attempt to cue up something less jarringly inappropriate for nest time...

No comments: